Gustavus Emergency Services
Fire, medical, and other emergency services in Gustavus
The Gustavus Volunteer Fire Department provides fire response, emergency medical services (EMS), and search and rescue for Gustavus and the surrounding area. The Department works closely with Alaska State Troopers, Glacier Bay National Park and the US Coast Guard, during search and rescue operations in the Gustavus, Glacier Bay, and Icy Strait areas. The GVFD is prepared to respond regionally to disasters when called.
Join our exciting team! The Gustavus Volunteer Fire Department has grown to nearly 30 volunteer responders. We welcome and encourage any interested Gustavus resident wanting to serve our community. You can learn firefighting and/or emergency medical skills and achieve State certification as a fire-fighter, ETT or EMT. We are scheduling great new training opportunities both in Gustavus and at outside training centers. There are also opportunities to support the Department in roles other than as a firefighter or EMT, so almost anyone can help in some way. Stop by the Fire Hall and talk to the Volunteers at the Tuesday meetings at 6:00 pm.
Remember to call 911 to activate any of the following services. Do not call the fire hall or a volunteer directly in an emergency.
- Medical Response-Gustavus Volunteer Fire Department has medically trained ETTs and EMTs to respond to medical calls, trauma calls and vehicle accidents. Our ambulance is fully equipped to care for the sick and injured, and transport to the appropriate facility.
- Search and Rescue- Gustavus Volunteer Fire Department has rescue volunteers ready to respond to reports of missing persons, lost persons or persons injured in remote areas. Search and rescue team members are crosstrained as medical personnel and can treat the sick and injured when found.
- Fire Response- Gustavus Volunteer Fire Department has trained volunteers to respond to structural and wild land fires, vehicle extractions and fire prevention.
- Thank you for supporting your local Volunteer Fire Department. Ambulance Subscriptions are available now for the 2016 calendar year. Subscriptions are $10 for an Individual or $25 for a Household. For more information, please pick up an application at City Hall. Forms are also available online.
- NEW VOLUNTEERS WELCOME!!! Join us for Drill on Tuesdays at 6pm